Wednesday, March 23, 2016

All the Birds in the Sky

I have a confession to make. I first looked at this book because of its beautiful cover. And I like birds. A lot. But then I read the blurb by Michael Chabon on the front cover, and all the positive reviews, and I was hooked. This book is a bit strange, but oh so compelling. It's about the end of the world, the balance between magic and science, and two childhood friends, Patricia and Laurence, who grow up on either side of that balance. Patricia is a graduate of a secret magic academy (think Hogwarts) and works with a small group of other magicians to secretly fix problems that occur in the world. Laurence is an engineering genius working with a group of techies to try to avoid global catastrophe through technological means. It's very difficult to give a quick summary of this book, because it defies categorization, and I don't want to give away too much. If you like coming of age stories, fantasy or science fiction, or dystopian future stories, give this a try. Patrice and Laurence are smart and lovable and quirky and will steal your heart, despite the wild and crazy storyline, I promise.

submitted by Kelly Currie

No comments: