Friday, October 20, 2006

Ready for some action?

Two well-known authors have proven they know how to get your attention immediately, and keep your pages a-turnin' and your minds a-clickin'. I recently read Harlan Coben's new Myron Bolitar novel, Promise Me. Although I had read some of Coben's later stuff, I had never "met" Myron and his pack of eccentric friends and cohorts. They are terrific! Coben blends great plotting, tingling suspense, and some humor thrown in for good measure. It is not for the squeamish, because there are some violent scenes involving Myron's friend Win and his odd ways of "handling" bad guys. But it's a great story. Another good suspense title is One Shot by Lee Child. This is not brand new, but is my first sampling of Child's well-known Jack Reacher character. What a guy! Again, the story is peopled with some very intriguing characters and a good storyline. It's set in an unnamed city in Indiana, which is always another appeal factor for our Hoosier readers. Although it's not too hard to figure out whodunnit, the suspense continues until the end. And I wouldn't mind having a guy like Jack Reacher on my side. He's a rebel. He reminds me of another Jack--anyone watch 24? Happy reading!

No comments: