Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories

Maybe you're like me and shy away from short stories. Many readers do, because they prefer the in-depth visitation a novel allows with its characters. I want to get to know these people and spend significant time with them. Short stories sometimes seem, well, too short. I picked up Delicate Edible Birds because of the author. I've read two of her novels and loved them. And, I should confess, the cover is lovely, so that attracted me, too. I'm happy to report that the inside pages are just as beautiful and compelling. The nine stories included are just the right length. My favorite story is a heartbreaking portrait of journalists in World War II, focusing particularly on the plight of one woman reporter, that left me cold and shivering. It's really hard to be a woman in a dangerous place full of desperate men. All the stories deal with women and girls of various ages in various places who use their wits and wiles to survive in a difficult world. If you're unsure about short stories, try one of these. They are beautiful little packages.
Submitted by Kelly Currie

No comments: