Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Bone Clocks

Wow. What a mesmerizing, mind-boggling, wild ride. Reading The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell (Cloud Atlas) takes a big commitment--of both time and brain cells. At nearly 600 pages, you have to REALLY want to read this because it will absorb you for a good long while. Thank goodness I read this on ereader, because I used the search feature frequently, as in "Who the heck is that person again?" and "What the heck does that mean, it seems vaguely familiar from about 200 pages ago?" But let me tell you this: it was oh so fun to read. It's surprising, clever, imaginative, complicated, scary, and, well, lovely. This book won't be for everyone, but it has made me look at the world a little differently. It starts out being one thing, and ends up being something entirely different. And Holly Sykes is one character I will carry with me for a long time. Read it. It will be available at the library on September 2.

No comments: